Saturday, February 26, 2011

love it: the piano

The Piano is one of the most eerily beautiful movies I've ever seen. It's the story of a mute pianist (Holly Hunter) who, with her illegitimate daughter (Anna Paquin), moves to 19th-century colonial New Zealand to be the wife of a British farmer (Sam Neil). She begins a bizarre, passionate affair with another man (Harvey Keitel). Intrigue and tragedy, of course, ensue.

A few reasons I love it so much:
  • Hunter gives an amazing, Academy-award winning performance without speaking a word. It's also fun to watch nine-year-old Paquin (of True Blood fame) play the role that made her the second youngest Oscar-winner in history.
  • It contains one of the most compelling film sequences I have ever seen...And I watch a lot of movies! (Watch it and you'll know exactly which one I'm talking about.)
  • Way before Kathryn Bigelow there was Jane Campion, who wrote and directed The Piano and was only the second female director to be nominated for an Academy Award.
  • The original score by Michael Nyman ranks among the loveliest ever made. It completely sets the tone for the film and sticks with you long after.
  • It triggered my love affair with Harvey Keitel. (Weird, I know.)
  • Against all odds, it does have a happy ending. And I'm a sucker for happy endings.
Rent it today. Then tell me what you think! (In case you need further convincing, here's the dated-and-cheesy-yet-wonderful trailer.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...