Wednesday, January 19, 2011

keep your golden globes in your dress

I'm coming late to the party, but I just have to throw in my two cents on the Golden Globes. It's an open secret that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is the Tammany Hall of the showbiz world. But it's no skin off my nose that the whole thing is rigged and corrupt, and I adore Ricky Gervais, so I watched it like everyone else.

First, red carpet fashion. I fully understand the irony of this situation, especially considering that I pretty much live in Uggs and would happily shop on overstock.com for the rest of my life. However, I do happen to have some strong opinions about a few fashion-related things. I'm also pretty confident that if I had the time and inclination to fret over what I wore, employed a personal stylist, and had designers throwing gowns at me, I'd be able to put together a decent look for the Golden Globes. So you'd think these people would be able to manage.

But my tastes, apparently, don't match up well with the general consensus. My favorite dresses of the night, worn by Anne Hathaway and Leighton Meester, were ones that most people didn't seem to like that much. They have one thing in common: Sleeves. I think that sleeved dresses can be incredibly elegant. To me it boils down to a matter of balance. Back, boobs, arms, legs. Pick one or two and show them off. Don't go for three or four at once. (Are you listening, January Jones?) Anne Hathaway's gown was backless and Leighton Meester's gown showed a lot of leg. They've got it right, in my opinion. It's an aesthetic that I keep in mind on those occasions when I actually do put forth a little effort.


Leighton Meester

January Jones


Also, despite the huge amount of flack he's gotten for it, I LOVED Ricky Gervais as host. So he didn't coddle the celebrities. He made some mean but on-the-mark jokes. He's a comedian - It's what he does. And he was funny. These people take themselves far too seriously if they can't understand that, because they have chosen to live their lives in the public eye, they are going to be subject to public embarrassment from time to time. They can go home to their mansions, and I can laugh at them with Ricky Gervais. Boo friggin hoo. Here's a video of his controversial opening monologue:



 The Social Network and Glee won a bunch of stuff. Cool. I love Glee and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I loved that the acceptance speech included a shout-out to hardworking public school teachers, which was extremely refreshing after Mr. De Niro's antics, ahem. I've never seen The Social Network and have no interest whatsoever in it, so moot point.

Finally, I love Robert Downey, Jr. and Johnny Depp very very much, but they're both starting to resemble bag ladies. In contrast, I really like this kinda Leonardo DiCaprio hair thing that guys are doing. It's very classy. Case in point: Chris Hemsworth (sigh) and some other guy with great hair.


Thanks for hanging in there with me. My brain is all floppy after the holidays. (My last three blog posts have related to alcohol and famous people.) That being said, I'm excited for the Oscars! Another excellent chance to observe the bizarre behavior of celebrities in their natural habitat.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...