Thursday, November 4, 2010

follow-ups: kanye goes zen, 50 cent finds a kindred spirit, more u.n. haterade, and taylor hunts me down

There have been some interesting, occasionally bizarre, developments regarding some of the things I've blogged about over the past few weeks. Here are a few that have come to my attention: 

In a tale of dubya, I mentioned that Bush feels that being accused of racism after Hurricane Katrina was one of the very lowest points of his presidency. One of the central figures behind those accusations was Kanye West, who extended an olive branch to Bush during a radio interview on Wednesday. West said he regrets pulling the race card and can connect with Bush on a human level. I've gotta say, I'm impressed.



phila is one tough cookie

In farewell, herbie, I climbed on my rhino poaching soapbox. So I was pretty beside myself to hear about Phila the black rhinoceros, who was shot nine times during the course of two poaching attempts and lived to tell the tale. She's since been moved to a zoo in Johannesburg. A movement to make 50 Cent Phila's honorary godfather has been gaining momentum in South Africa, including petitioning Nelson Mandela to contact the rapper on Phila's behalf.

chishugi, another tough cookie
In a few things to be angrier about than the ground zero mosque, I shared some information about the mass rapes in the Democratic Republic of Congo and gave a little piece of my mind on the United Nations. Last night on BBC World Service radio I heard an interview with Leah Chishugi, a survivor of the 1994 Rwandan genocide who is now working with rape victims in the eastern Congo. She also has a bone to pick with the U.N. because she's seen this type of inaction before. She cited a specific incident last month, when U.N. forces sat idly by while Congolese women were being raped and murdered less than an hour away from their camp. Her words on the U.N.'s current role in the DRC: "It makes me angry, it takes me back to 1994 because they left us to die...I don't know what they're doing, what they're protecting. They should be protecting people." Here's the radio interview.

no one is safe
And some of you may remember haterade: taylor swift, in which I mentioned that hearing Swiftie's songs over and over and over again is one of the reasons that I rarely change my tuner from NPR anymore. Well, it finally happened. NPR was playing Taylor Swift this afternoon. Granted, they were just reviewing her album, but they must've played a full minute of one of her new songs, and it happened: my ear drums started bleeding. She's found me.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...