Saturday, October 23, 2010

this my neighbor, nursultan tuleiakbay

Khoja Ahmed Yasavi Mausoleum, built by Tamerlane in 1390

Navruz (an ancient holiday marking the spring equinox) celebrated in Almaty





When researching places that the Peace Corps could send me, I read something to the effect of: "You are just as likely to be sent to an urban center in Kazakhstan as a rural area of East Africa!" Well, I kinda freaked. My mind jumped to exactly the same place as I'm sure yours is now: BORAT, that incredibly over-the-top movie that I suppose most PC-minded people find very repulsive. I love it. There are only a handful of movies that have ever made me laugh harder than this one. And, of course, it made Kazakhstan look absolutely wretched. So, my first thought: "But I don't WANNA go to to Kazakhstan!"

My initial impression of Kazakhstan, of course, is a perfect example of I shouldn't get my information from movies. I've done a little background check on the land of Borat. It's the country that gave us the domesticated horse, the location of several UNESCO world heritage sites, and is helping lead the way in the nuclear nonproliferation movement. It is actually a very beautiful, diverse, and culturally rich country. I wanted to share with you some of the things I've found.



development project in Aktau, a city on the Mangyshlak Peninsula

Kazakhstan Mountains

Kazakh falconers
Altai Mountains: thought to be the site of the mystical Buddhist kingdom of Shambhala
Arasan Banya (bath house)


All of this, of course, got me thinking: How many other places do I just write off because one goofy movie/book/comedian makes it look silly? None, now.


If you're interested in learning more about Kazakhstan, here's one of the best articles I found on it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...