Friday, March 4, 2011

why my ears are smiling this week

The five songs my iPod's been playing pretty much non-stop this week. They're not all hits, and they're not all recent, but they are all fabulous.


1. "I Want Love" - Elton John

But I want love, just a different kind
I want love, won't break me down
Won't brick me up, won't fence me in
I want a love that don't mean a thing 

That's the love I want, I want love

What a lovely, understated music video. Gotta love EJ and RDJ.



2. "Welcome to England" - Tori Amos

I'm in quicksand; I am sinking fast
Perfect, he laughed
Cause your other half has got a Devil's access
Welcome to England, he said
Welcome to my world
You better bring your own sun, sweet girl

One of my very Tori Amos favorite songs - and I love pretty much everything she does. The video is eerie and beautiful, which is what I've come to expect from her.




3. "This Ain't a Long Song" - Scouting for Girls

It's all right
You can try, but you'll never keep me down
It's all right
I may be lost but I'm waiting to be found

I discovered these guys on a Graham Norton rerun - And I love them! The lyrics are a bit inane, but it's upbeat and catchy...A perfect non-depressing breakup song, if you need one. (Who doesn't?)



4."Tainted Love" - Soft Cell

You need someone to hold you tight 
And you think love is to pray
Well I'm sorry, I don't pray that way

Pure old-school pleasure.



5. "Born This Way" - Lady GaGa

It doesn't matter if you love him, or capital H-I-M
Just put your paws up
'Cause you were born this way, baby


So unless you've been living under a rock you've probably heard this song a million times and seen the video at least once. But I'm not tired of it yet. I've had it set as my wake-up alarm this week, and I've been rolling out of bed with a little extra oomph. The video is crazy, of course, and a little self-important...But I guess I wasn't expecting anything less. Props to her for looking fabulous. And I think I already have a Halloween costume for this year! (Pink hair, skull face paint, and girlie tux? Yup.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...